Skip to main content

Open Access Research: Open Access

Making your work open access

How do I make my research open access?

You can make your publications open access via two routes, referred to as Green or Gold open access.

  • Authors archive/deposit into the University Repository, Pearl, via Elements
  • The version archived is normally the author's accepted manuscript
  • Cost free route
  • Access may be subject to a publisher embargo period - check that this complies with any funder requirements.
  • This route meets most funder's policies and is the University of Plymouth and HEFCE REF preferred OA policy.

To make your publication green open access upload your accepted manuscript to Elements and we will do the rest.

REF2021 HEFCE will respect publisher embargo periods up to a maximum of 12 months (Panels A&B) or 24 months (Panels C&D). 

  • Immediate OA on the publisher's website following payment of an article processing charge APC to the publisher.
  • Funding is available for payment of Article Processing Charges for RCUK funded work only
  • CC-BY license should be chosen as the most 'open' license and is mandated by most funders. 
  • If not funded through RCUK you will need to ensure you include publication costs in your grant application.
  • Wellcome Trust have funding available for gold access 

Latest Statistics



Open Access Policies

Locating open access output